A foray into fitness

This blog is simply a snapshot of my life and the road ive chosen as it stands today. Content will be added freely and probably in an adhoc fashion. Welcome!, kick back, peruse, amuse, just dont abuse! :)

As its my first blog its definately a work in progress, i can definately say content will vary in form and delivery.. If your lucky the inner Author may make an appearance and a story and perhaps a poem or two may appear, i know scary thought :) Also pictures and other functionality within the blog will be updated over time.. Its official, the blog is open! wheres that champagne bottle.. anybody....

Friday 6 May 2011

Sydney Morning Herald Half Marathon

Hi all,

Ok first thing is first. I am absolutely stoked to be running the Half Marathon, mentally cant wait! however my preperation over these last few weeks has been suffering. The dilemma can be attributed to shoes. See a few weeks ago i thought i would get myself a new pair of shoes and wear them in with plenty of time left for the Half Marathon, but its been a disastrous process really! As ive been training in Asics Cumulous i thought id stay on the safe side and stick with those shoes as i was relatively happy with them. The problem started as i didnt listen to myself and let someone else convince me to get a shoe that was one size to big! yes stupid i know, im not even going to grace these pages with an explanation, ridiculous really. Anyhow, during a run downhill i felt some movement in my left knee that ive never felt before so after the initial "hmm thats weird, what the $%^&^" i decided to rest the legs and monitor the situation. As the days passed by, the knee eventually got back to normal. However, in the meantime i exchanged the ill fitting shoes for a pair of Brooks Glyceren 8 as they were highly recommended.. Well after two weeks they proved they just wernt the shoes for me and yes another injury! this time a strain around the ankle and achillees area! its been around 3 days now and as each day goes by the area is feeling better so im hopeful all will be fine race day. This whole saga has messed up my training and prep so obviously not to happy about it. Really should see a doctor but i just hate dragging myself to them if you know what i mean. Im sure there are a few of you who do. Anyhow hopefully the "shell be right"mantra proves to be so... I really do have to thank the team at rebel as they understood my plight and exchanged both shoes for me.. Am currently rocking on with Asics Nimbus.. Havent run with them yet obviously as im still resting the leg however they feel fantastic when wlking and i definately think they will be fine. Am caught in a dilemma though.. A: do i wear my new shoes to the HM which is only a week and a bit away or B: do i use my old asics shoes which are 9 months old! still comfy but they have to be overdue and shouldnt be used i assume ? anyhow thats my current prep for the HM, far from ideal but ill soldier on..

No comments:

Post a Comment